Wednesday, November 14, 2007

FOOD FOR THOUGHT: BLACK HOLLYWOOD'S TOP ACTRESSES SPEAK OUT ON BLOGS!

BATTLE AGAINST THE BLOGS, OH BOY.

I'm thrilled to see some of my favorite black actresses gracing the cover of Ebony (especially Sanaa Lathan, I adore that woman) as they all look amazing of course. True inspriations to young, black females as myself. On the flipside, the actual article itself or conversation rather between Essence and the three ladies became rather I'll say opinionated. As Gabrielle Union had ALOT to say about blogs and their credibility - as well as how blogs in "our" community put each other down. (raised eyebrow) Read more below.

Essence: How do you deal with the 24-hours-a-day gossip that comes out on the Internet?
Gabrielle: Just last week somebody gave me a baby. This isn’t Perez Hilton or the White gossip people, these are women of color, specifically Black women who, for whatever reason, don’t like the company I keep.
Sanaa: She’s talking about the gossip sites.
Essence: The blogs
Sanaa: That are run by Black women.
Gabrielle: And now because everyone is clamoring for celebrity tidbits, the bigger gossip sites and even mainstream entities are picking up on it. No fact-checking, no nothing. And in one week’s time, there were like five different dudes, a baby—I’m a home wrecker. In literally seven days. I can’t point the finger at the White media. They don’t care about us. Paparazzi are not staked out in front of any of our houses. They are not going through our garbage because they don’t care about us in that way. So when you hear crap about us, it is coming from our own community, which hurts.
Nia: We are some of the few Black actresses whose passions are rooted in our community.
Gabrielle: There is this idea that there is integrity in journalism; if it’s written it has to be true. But that’s not the case. When blogs or any of the magazines get it wrong, there’s no accountability. In the next breath, they’ll complain on the blogs that we don’t have enough Black stars. Well, you rip us to shreds every two seconds from our nose to the weave to the clothes to the shoes to the ashy ankles.

My Response: I agree partially with Gabrielle about credibility on some on these blogs. But she has to realize that while it's not fair at times to these celebs, that is what SELLS, gets HITS and that's what people want to SEE - the rumors & the gossip. I found it interesting that she name dropped Perezhilton.com (which is clearly for entertainment purposes in my eye) but didn't name drop any blogs in OUR community that she believes are so strongly ripping her to shreds. (raised eyebrow) There are good black blogs out there that strive to have good sources with their information, (i.e. Concreteloop, YBF etc) So I wonder who she's referring to? Nevertheless, I'm pretty sure this interview will either prick alot of nerves or step on a couple toes especially in the black blog community.

Any thoughts?

No comments: